Schama, Simon. A History of Britain. BBC Series, vol. 3. “Revolutions”
- Cromwell called himself” a seeker”; He sought …
- Was John Milton a royalist or a supporter of Cromwell (OC, henceforth)?
- Who was John Lilburn, the leveller?
- What did leveller women organize?
- What were the Puritan expectations of women and why were they astounded at leveller women?
- OC and Ireland. What happened at Drogheda?
- The Stuart dream of a unified Britain – which had started the Civil Wars – had come to an end because OC had made that dream come true – however, not as a united kingdom of Britain but as a …
- What is the “Rump Parliament”?
- Why did OC shut down parliament in 1653 (coup d’etat)?
- He was a king in all but name; his actual title was...
- Any good from OC’s days?
- 1661, King Charles II was crowned. How is the court described?
- 1665 à bubonic plagues / The Great Plague.
- What put an end to the Great Plague in London?
- After a surge of anti-catholic feeling, how did William of Orange become king?
- What is the “Glorious Revolution”?