In northern Arizona you can find the Grand Canyon, which has been carved by the Colorado River and is one of the seven natural wonders of the world. Another interesting phenomenon is the Meteor Crater, which is a gigantic hole in the middle of the high plains of the Colorado Plateau.
There are a lot of national forests, parks and monuments in Arizona. In addition, more than a quarter of its territory is Federal Trust Land which serves as the home for several tribes.
Some key facts about Arizona:
- capital city & largest city: Phoenix
- for its area it is ranked 6th in the US (295,254 square kilometers)
- it is not densely populated (only 21.54/km2)
- highest point: Humphreys Peak (3,851 m)
- lowest point: Colorado River (22 m)
- abbreviation: AZ
- nickname: the Grand Canyon State, the Copper State
- motto: Ditat Deus (= God Enriches)
- languages: English, Spanish and Navajo
- state flower: Saguaro Cactus Blossom
- state bird: Cactus Wren
- state song: Arizona by Rex Allen Jr
- state gemstone: turquoise