The United States of America is divided into five regions: Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Southwest and the West.
We will focus on the Southwest Region which is made up of the following states, known as the “Four corners”:
1. A dessert which has been transformed into rich farmland due to vast irrigation systems.
2. Fastest growing state, rich in farm and mineral products.
3. Where the Grand Canyon is located, one of the seven wonders of the world.
· NEW MEXICO
1. In 1540 the Spanish conqueror Coronado rode through the area in search of gold.
2. High Hispanic population as it was under Spanish control from the 16th century until 1846.
3. Also known as “ The Land of enchanment” because of its beauty and rich history.
1. In the Siege of the Alamo in 1836, Texas revolutionaries sacrified their lives defending a post they believed indispensable.
2. Major producer of oil and has important centers of industry and finance.
3. Cowboy hats and boots and its sandy beaches represent the main features.
1. In the 19th century the “Five Civilized Tribes”, were transported to the area.
2. Main fuel and food-producing state.
3. Beautiful natural settings, Indian villages and outstanding modern buildings.
Sara Marí Cubero